1990 Institute and Asia Society Northern California to partner on 2020 Teachers Workshop
We are pleased to announce that Asia Society Northern California and the 1990 Institute have formed a partnership for the 2020 China Now Teachers Workshop.
Asia Society, founded in 1956 by John D. Rockefeller 3rd, is the leading educational institution dedicated to promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships across people, leaders, and institutions of Asia and the United States in a global context. Across the fields of arts, business, culture, education, and policy, the Society provides insight, generates ideas, and promotes collaboration to address present challenges and create a shared future.
The partnership between Asia Society Northern California and the 1990 Institute will enable the program to further leverage both organizations’ strengths and expand our Teachers’ program in breadth and in depth.
Our next Teachers Workshop is expected to be on July 31- August 1, 2020, again at the San Mateo County Office of Education in Redwood City, California. The theme of the workshop will be “Technology and Humanity”. More information about this workshop will be available shortly.
The major framework and format of the workshop will remain, and we will continue to offer stipend and/or CEU credits to those that complete the requirements of the workshop.
Lectures from 2019 Teachers Workshop on
“China on the Move”
July 26-27, 2019
Keynote Lecture by Clayton Dube on “Recalibrating US-China Relations”
Friday, July 26, 2019
Feature: Francis Lee on “The Rise of China in Technology Development“
Saturday, July 27, 2019
Teachers Workshop Background
Since 2013, we have provided a two-day summer workshop on contemporary China for 6-12 grade teachers. Since 2018, the general public were able to attend the “seminar” sessions of the workshop via live-streaming.
Expect to find the following at our workshops:
- Relevant Themes: Each year we select a currently relevant and thought provoking theme on contemporary China that would be interesting and exciting to study in the classroom.
- Inspirational Speakers: We invite uniquely qualified China specialists with background and experience to present diverse but balanced viewpoints. These speakers come from both academic and non-academic worlds, including lawyers, business people, advocates, journalists, authors, and university professors — both U.S. and Chinese nationals. (See list of speakers and topics this year.)
- Most Current Information/thoughts about China today: Speakers are equipped to bring most current information and thoughts about today’s China.
What’s the difference between attending the workshop and the simulcast?
If you are a U.S. grades 6-12 teacher, you are invited to attend this workshop. Besides the benefits described above, you will have the opportunity to:
- Direct Interaction with Speakers: Teachers are encouraged to interact with the speakers during the lectures with discussions, Q&A, as well as during other networking times such as lunch. (We invite the speakers to join us for lunch and stay afterwards in case teachers need more clarification.)
- Suitable for Teaching: We ask the speakers to present their material in a manner that would be suitable for teaching grade 6-12 students.
- Assistance in Developing Lesson Material: Pedagogy specialist (e.g. UC Berkeley History & Social Science Project members) will lead/help teachers develop classroom material based on workshop lectures.
- Network and collaborate with fellow teachers.
- Additional Resource Materials: Speakers are asked to provide PowerPoint files to go with their lectures. These files can be downloadable from our website during and after the Workshop.
- Stipend: Upon completion of all workshop requirements, teachers can receive a stipend from $200-$400.
- CEUs: Teachers have the option of applying all or part of their stipend to receive 1.6 CEU units from San Francisco State University. (The CEU registration fee is $200.)
- Meals: Complimentary breakfast and lunch are provided both days.
Use menu tabs to see specific information about any year’s workshop.
Email to email@example.com for any questions.